The Cocoon is a beautiful heritage listed property in central St Kilda, providing a safe home to 6 young women who have exited homelessness or out of home care.
The Cocoon provides a therapeutic space for young women to recover, stabilise, develop their living skills, and get ready for their long-term housing. The Cocoon offers a sense of community through activities including, coffee catch ups, a gardening club and dog walking groups.
For current vacancies see our vacancies page. We are also accepting enquiries for women looking for accommodation from April 2023 when our next round of vacancies will be coming up.
If you would like to live at the Cocoon or would like to make a referral, please contact us:
• 12-month leases with the intention of supporting residents to transition into long-term independent living after this time.
• A youth mentor living onsite, providing guidance and friendship to the residents.
• Capped rent – 30% of the resident’s income, plus their Commonwealth Rent Assistance amount. (Note: maintenance of common areas, gardening, electricity, gas, and water are all charged as an additional $37.50pw).
• Bridge It support staff will be on site from 10-3, Monday to Friday.
• Access to training, education, gym, wellbeing groups, and living skills workshops.
• Weekly one-on-one support from a Housing Coordinator.
• You are between the ages of 18-25
• You are female-identifying
• You are keen to live in a community setting.
• You want to engage in support and groups.
• You are at risk or experiencing homelessness or transitioning from out-of-home care.
• You have an NDIS or Home Stretch package which can be used to cover the cost of the support.
The Cocoon is a collaborative project between HousingFirst and Bridge It.
A new mural has been completed to create a welcoming and positive atmosphere at The Cocoon.
The project is 100% philanthropically funded.
You can support The Cocoon here